Saturday, September 18, 2010

10 things that scared me

I have been tagged by Mary at Passionate Perseverance to tell you 10 things that scared me the most.

I am going to be brief, because I need to log in and get some work done, but wanted to "play along".

1. I got lost walking home a different way from school in 3rd grade. My mom and brother did find me and had a Hostess "snowball" treat for me. Funny what you remember!
2. I was a 9th grade cheerleader. Yuck - we only 1/2 knew what we were doing. Very few people came to the 9th grade games, you had to wear your uniform (with name on the back) to school, so all these creepy boys could yell things at you by name. I did try out again, but didn't make it, so I must have thought it was ok at the time. Retrospectively - no so much.
3. I taught swimming lessons/life-guarded for 2 years during PE class. Again - not scary at the time, but now I think about the fact that we were responsible for people in a pool who could have drown. Scary. I am going to steer my kids away from life-guarding!
4. I went to the University of Iowa for Band camp. Another yuck. I was lonely and it wasn't a very friendly camp - more like college for 8th graders.
5. I went to the University of Iowa for college. It wasn't that scary, but I am only at number 5 and running out of things. Someone did tell me that your GPA drops an average of 2 pts from high-school at college - that thought did scare me - but was really an urban legend.
6. I worked in the Dept. of Otolaryngology during undergrad and part of my job involved running cochlear implant subjects on a battery of tests. Some of the older models of cochlear implants involved direct connection to the skull - it was a bit scary knowing you could shock the patient if you weren't careful.
7. I went to the University of MN for grad school. It was a bit more scary, because I left the U of I campus where I felt comfortable AND I had to drive around the Twin Cities. That still scares me (to be honest - so does St. Louis).
8. I worked on the Cochlear Implant team at Boys Town Hospital in Omaha. It was scary when a patient called to say they couldn't get their implant to work. Unfortunately sometimes it was because the internal part was broken. I guess that was more sad than scary.
9. I have 4 children - something scares me on a weekly basis. Especially the thought of them driving or someone being mean to them.
10. Going into a haunted house - any. I always keep my eyes closed the entire time.

I realize these are pretty lame. To be honest, it is because I am such a conservative (+ easily scared) person that I stay away from frightening things!

4 comments:

  1. Number 10 is also a big one for me too, Betsy. I never have liked them. Used to be, the people could touch you - I did lots of screaming in those! LOL! The last one I went in was completely dark and you had to find your way out by touch - no one touching you but you could hear them behind the walls around you. That was just over the top for me - haven't been back since. Thankfully my kids aren't even aware or interested in anything like that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My top 2 include getting married and natural childbirth (both were worth the end result)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone once told me fear is the energy that will carry me through so I try to channel it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Job Betsy!! See we can all face the fear and pray for the grace to move through it. Yeah!!

    ReplyDelete