Wednesday, March 30, 2011

It does my heart good

I just went to pick Matthew up from Religious Ed. We park near our Eucharistic chapel and had a clear view of the street. There was a young kid who I noticed was pushing his car. I thought about helping him, but was afraid of leaving the kids and or hurting my back with its history of sciatica. No excuses, I just watched and saw that he got his car off the busy road (he was very close when I noticed him). I would like to say I would have helped if he wasn't so close to a side road, but I didn't help and can't take credit for what happened next.

I noticed 2 pedestrians crossing the street to help him. (actually they were waiting for the light to turn) Before they could lend a hand, 2 people abandoned their cars in the street to help push and a third guy pulled over to help. FIVE people (and none of them me) helped this kid get his car off the street! It was so wonderful to watch.

In defense of my slacker self, I did help a kid push his (small) car in the library parking lot a few weeks ago, when I didn't have to abandon my kids to do it :) Anyway the point of the story wasn't that I DIDN'T help, it was that 5 people did!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I recently saw a stranger help a woman who had driven her car too close to the mailbox drop. Her side mirror was wedged under the drop. It was cold, really cold, but a gentleman climbed out of his car and lifted up the mailbox so she could dislodge her mirror. It was one of those special moments to watch a random act of kindness.

    ReplyDelete