Thursday, April 21, 2011

My newest favorite food

I am always looking for something that tastes good, but keeps me full in the morning. I have had oatmeal with fruit for the last 6 months and can't wait for tomorrow morning to have some more! I added a "few" peanuts and 1/2 a banana to my strawberry oatmeal and it is great. That said I have found a new Sunday breakfast. I make it on Sunday because I have a bit more time on that day and often Ken is making the kids something yummy and I want something similar.

This recipe is adapted from a Jillian Micheal's recipe "Famous Red Team Puffs". I doubled most of her recipe, except the cottage cheese and cream cheese and I added 2 heaping tablespoons of flour. Also her recipe calls for a tart pan and cooking on the stove some and I do my entire recipe in a cast iron skillet in the oven, similar to a Swedish Pancake recipe I received from my college room-mate's mother about 20 years ago!

So here you go:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
In a small cast iron skillet (or other oven safe dish):

melt 2 t. butter
4+ large strawberries cut into pieces
2 T chopped walnuts

while everything in the skillet is getting melted and warm in the oven:

Mix
4 egg whites
1 T Splenda or sugar to taste (I just use one little packet of Splenda)
add 1/3 C lowfat cottage cheese and 2 T wheat flour

Pour this on top of your strawberry/walnut mixture and cook for 20-25 minutes

Flip this on your plate and add spread 2 T of melted cream cheese on top.

I love it (and obviously felt the need to share :)

Happy Easter - yes I will probably have this Easter morning!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Do you have to make it right when you want it or can you make it in advance? I suppose it could bake while I'm making everyone else's breakfast etc. but 25 minutes seems like a long time for the morning rush. How do you squeeze it in?

    ReplyDelete