Sunday, May 21, 2017

The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

Meet the Family:

Logainne Schwarzandgrubenierre (in the middle) was an excellent speller!  Carolyn (Carla Grubenierre) was an awful mother.  (Her one line was "we hate losers").  Her on-stage husband's character was Dan Schwarz (a hen-pecked man).

The musical was absolutely hysterical. From what I understand, the original has some "adult themes", but our 8th and 9th graders did a clean version that had me laughing out loud and even crying during one song.  (The one participant sang a song that asked, "If I win, who will be my chaperone in DC?"  (Her mother was in India and her father was working late during the bee.  She took the bus to be in the bee.)  Anyway if you can see a middle-school version of this musical - I highly recommend it!

Our community theater is doing the same show next fall, so Carolyn and I will go watch, but I think Anna will need to stay home as it might not be so tame.

1 comment: