Sunday, October 14, 2012

Fourteen

We took Matthew to Smashburger to celebrate his birthday.  We had never been before, but rumor at the middle-school was that it was delish.  We agreed, definitely the best hamburger I ever had, although to be fair, I rarely choose a burger at a non-fast-food place.  This was semi-fast food and how could I not get a burger at a place called Smashburger?  YUM.
 Matthew chose Legos for his birthday, which is not a big surprise.  He had it built within an hour or 2 and declared it very awesome.  Ken surprised him with an architecture game (didn't get a photo) and he got a new "cool" sweatshirt.  Only teenagers think clothes are ok for gifts if they are "cool".  (although Carolyn picked out a sweatshirt for Christmas this year.....oh no, I guess "tween" girls think it is ok too)
 I know we have steered away from cake-themes as Matthew has aged, but this year he brought a fish into our home, so it was only right that he have a fish tank birthday cake.  (Henry and Mudge books gave us the idea.)  Actually the fish live in Joel's room because he had the big counter for it...but Joel's birthday is far away and how can you not love this cake!
Of course as I look at these pictures I think - where are Matthew's glasses?!!!  (He doesn't really like contacts, but he really needs correction.)  Oh well despite probably squinting....I think he had a great birthday.  The day after, not as much, because he was required to help with the great clothing swap, which really is no fun for anyone (see separate post).

2 comments:

  1. Smashburger! That sounds delicious! Happy celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a scrapbook burger to me! (Smash books!) I can't get over how much the kids have changed ... oy.

    ReplyDelete