Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Game Days




Our family is the perfect age for board games.  Everyone can play and we have some pretty good ones.  

My personal favorite "Blokus"

Matthew got this from us 2 years ago after I saw my freshman year college room-mate (also Ken's sister's sister-in-law) playing it our niece's wedding.  Regarding that connection...let's just say "it's a small world after all".  You should agree...especially when you add the twist that 10 years before I was a freshman, my sister was assigned to be her sister's room-mate.....ok I digress.

I love Blokus and everyone in my family loves Blokus....if you don't own it you should....which is why I have bought this game to give as a gift 4 times.  If you lived in Iowa, I would probably be giving your kid this game at their next birthday party....ha ha!

Anna loves: 
Cranium Whoonu
Carolyn loves: 

Joel's favorite (although he hasn't played it much).....I am guessing it is Ken's favorite too:

Matthew's favorite:

So I am writing this post for 2 reasons.  
#1 to remember our favorite games in 2014
#2 to tell a funny story about today's game "Wits and Wages"
ok - 3 reasons - to encourage you to share your family's favorite game with me!

 ok - so back to #2.  Today we were playing Wits and Wages for the first time.  This s a game recommended by Dave Ramsey, although I am not sure exactly why since it isn't really about budgeting.  I think Dave would be extremely happy though as I bought this game for < $5 ....so I was even budget conscious, which makes me laugh because I have been completely ignoring any concept of a budget for months.

Here is our funny picture playing this game.  
The first 2 rounds were without Carolyn as she had a baby-sitting job.......can you believe it.  This was her 3rd gig!  She really likes it and loves earning money.  So here is a picture when Carolyn joined us for the game later.  We had to get it quick as people were in good spirits and were trying to "photo bomb" the picture.....thank goodness for digital!

Wits and Wagers is a cool game because you don't need to know the right answer....you just need to bet on the person's answer who you think is right.

Anna stated several times, "I don't know what you mean" for the questions (like "when was the movie Casablanca released?")....but she still could enjoy the game.

One question was "when was the first winter Olympics?"  I was off by 100 years and Matthew thought it was since I was born.....I am not that old!  Joel however guessed the exact year. (1924 by the way)  We were amazed.

The best question was "how many cards are there in a deck of Uno cards"?  We all bet on Matthew's answer because he made an UNO/Jenga mix game this spring.  (112 I think...)  It was funny because we all piled our chips on Matthew's answer....guess you had to be there....it was hysterical!

Anyway - fun was had by all!

2 comments:

  1. Great recommendations!! We will keep those in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard about Blokus... have to check it out.
    My crew (well, not Mag--still a little young) like "ticket to ride"

    ReplyDelete