Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Ankeny Schools do the right thing!

Last week a federal judge ruled in favor of parents of student with disabilities who sued the state of Iowa over their mask mandate ban !  Yesterday Ankeny school board met and reinstated the mask mandate:

"Ankeny is not the only district to reimpose a mask mandate after a U.S District judge barred state officials from enforcing a law that forbid school districts from doing so. Des MoinesWest Des MoinesUrbandaleJohnstonIowa City and Ames schools have all adopted mask mandates since the order was issued last week, too, among others. [also Burlington and West Burlington schools....where my Dad lives - yeh!]

 Claeys shared that 225 of the emails opposed a mandate, while 375 supported one."

-----------------------------

I am happy to say that I am one of the 375 who wrote an email to the school board.  While my kids are protected by the vaccine, they were exposed a combined 6 times in 7 school days recently.  Plus my hospital is starting to be stressed again by COVID cases.  I didn't even mention this in my email.  I just said that we need to protect the unvaccinated children and the immune compromised.  Despite my children's risk being low, I supported the mandate to protect the young children and the community.


Here are my favorite Ankeny students:

(just got Joel's senior pictures so this won't be the last photo you will see)  (I didn't tell him about the change in the mandate....it starts tomorrow.  He can hear it at school!  It will not make him smile because he feels like he is safe, being vaccinated.  He also may feel generally invincible, like a teen boy does.)  But is he cute.


I did tell Anna on the way to school.  She said, "It is no big deal, we did it last year.  It is better when everyone has to wear a mask."  (sweet girl's best buddy does have younger siblings and her friend has been wearing a mask all year, which helps)




1 comment: