Thursday, March 4, 2010

Cook it day.

I am not sure when I decided today would be a big "cook" day. I decided to prep and freeze the meat for our Mexican dinner Saturday night, so that I could work and clean on Saturday before our guests arrive. I then proceeded to make turkey soup for dinner tonight. I then decided to make rolls to go with our dinner. Then Matthew asked if I would make his favorite breakfast bars.....

So it really wasn't until we were in the middle of making the bars/rolls that I realized - I just had a major food prep day. Except for the messy kitchen, everything went well! I think the wonderful temperatures (we are above freezing folks - I feel like I am in Florida!) and the sun have given me lots of energy.

Below you will see our "Butterhorn rolls". (I had MANY helpers for this and even more for the oatmeal bars below. The kitchen was a disaster, but everyone had fun making some fantastic food.)

Here is where I got the recipe - and perhaps the motivation to make a few big batches of needed food items. I am going to make these for Carolyn's First Communion Party! They are delish! Next time I am going to halve the recipe and make the dough in my bread machine for easy prep.

http://moneysavingmom.com/2010/03/make-ahead-butterhorns-recipe.html


Below are the most wonderful oatmeal bars ever. Matthew loves oatmeal bars (with peanut butter on top). He eats them frequently for breakfast, but the kind from Quaker are a bit expensive and I figure it has to be more healthy to make your own. I had that idea for a long time, never finding a good recipe (not trying too hard really), but then a friend brought these to our Faith and Friendship group. She then provided me with the recipe and brought me flax seeds and oats as well! Going above and beyond the call of duty when someone LOVES your cooking.

I am hooked (as are the other members of my family - well not Ken, but he isn't an oatmeal guy). The first time I made these, I forgot the flour. They are less bar like, but great with milk poured on the top (the way Joel, Carolyn and I like it). So today I made a batch with and without flour. Once you have all the ingredients out, the second batch takes 2 minutes. Today I didn't have any applesauce, so I just cup up an apple. Haven't tried it yet, but think it will be good!


Chewy Granola Bars
Ingredients


  • 4 1/2 cups rolled oats

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour

  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • 1/2 cup butter, softened

  • ½ cup applesauce

  • 2/3 cup honey
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar

  • ¾ C chopped almonds (or other nut)

  • ¼ C flax seeds

  • 1 C craisins or raisins

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease one 9x13 inch pan.

2. In a large mixing bowl combine the oats, flour, baking soda, vanilla, butter or margarine, honey and brown sugar. Stir in the 2 cups assorted chocolate chips, raisins, nuts etc.

3. Lightly press mixture into the prepared pan. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes then cut into bars. Let bars cool completely in pan before removing or serving.

adapted from: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chewy-Granola-Bars/Detail.aspx
EASY EASY EASY YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY

2 comments:

  1. I'm definitely going to try those granola bars for after school snacks. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matthew was in charge of the honey, so this time they were too sweet. Next time I think I will try 1/2 C instead

    ReplyDelete