Friday, March 12, 2010

Mom thanks Percy Jackson, Matthew thanks Mom!

Matthew REALLY wants to see the Percy Jackson and the Olympians movie. Last week I had a brainstorm. I told him that his room needed to be clean and his Dad would go with him to the movie. I said there are two levels of clean. One level (nothing on the floor, dresser and headboard) gets you a ride to the movie and someone (Dad) to watch it with you (and since it is Dad - buttery popcorn at the theater!). The second level gets you a free movie! I am proud to say I will pony up for the movie.

Above note the trophy case Matthew made with the help of J.F. (M.F.'s hubby) in Cub scouts. Also we are still Colts fans. Below, note Matthew's wonderful Cub scout awards on the wall. We also rearranged the furniture (in hopes of making less places for "stuff" to accumulate). I think re-arranging also makes you feel like you accomplished a great deal - and gets absolutely everything out from under the bed.

Background info.....probably more information that anyone cares about, but it makes this clean room accomplishment special to me.

Matthew had a Pokemon DS game he wanted to sell, but it had gone through the washing machine. It still worked and so I told him I would buy it from him and then Joel could earn it off me (since he wanted it). In the end, both boys did jobs for me and I "bought" the game for $5. Fast forward to the point where Matthew is trying to clean his room. He was trying to get me to help and I told him that I would clean his room for $35 or would help him for one hour for $20 (really a good deal if you think that in the end he would score the free movie). He decided that this was a bit too much, so we bargained that I would give him 15 minutes of my time and he would give Joel the game for free. Again a good deal, because I can really get a lot done in 15 minutes (I actually finished his whole closet, which was the deal breaker on the free movie).

The next morning, when he still didn't have everything done, I told him that I would help him and he could help me later, since we both wanted to try to improve the cleanliness of our world. His room looked great and he has been a great helper to me outside of his room! (I also reminded him that I only work on his room as hard as he does.) He also appreciates my time a bit more! When he wasn't going to make it to the movie last week because his room wasn't done in time for the Saturday late show, I told him I wasn't going to take off work for him to see the movie Sunday, since he didn't get his job done on time. He proceeded to try to figure out how to pay me for 2 hours of work, so he could go. Let's just say we talked him out of that! Still glad that he is starting to understand and appreciate his mom. He also has kept his room clean all week! I am encouraging him to do a bit everyday to maintain his room - knock wood. Now we just need to finish the rest of the house - my room included!

2 comments:

  1. You just gave me a few good lines to use with my boys. I'm especially fond of only working his room as hard as he does. It's a gentle reminder and it's true. I never thought of having my kids pay me to clean. Thanks for the parenting lesson. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you been listening to Dave Ramsey?

    ReplyDelete