Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Enjoy this picture!


This is a funky picture of Joel's quilt ready for quilting. The green is actually painter's tape. Normally it works great as a guide for quilting (just the right amount of sticky). Of course that is if the person placing the tape uses her brain and only tapes on direction at a time. Otherwise when quilting you have to sew on top of tape, which would be rather dumb! So during the quilting I had to tear-up all the intersections to avoid sewing on the tape. What a pain! I had to make myself finish all the quilting in 2 days, because I knew if I put it away, I would not want to get it out for weeks.

SOOOO - Carolyn and Joel's quilts are both quilted and only need binding. I am hoping to get this part done, so they can wake up the first day of school with their new quilts on their beds....but don't hold me to it!

For the record (and this is going to sound stupid).....the thing I like least about quilting is the quilting. What I mean to say is, I love planning quilts and piecing quilts (putting all the fabric together) and I love binding quilts. I just don't like working with the bulky 3 layers of fabric together at once on the machine. Until we moved to Iowa, I didn't have a machine that could quilt, so I either quilted by hand (which I don't mind, but takes too long for a large project) or tied the quilts together (but I don't like the end product as well). Actually I don't even mind machine-quilting small quilts, since the bulk isn't there. I think I have done my last "large" quilt for awhile. I love making baby and doll-sized quilts.

I did ask Matthew if he wanted a quilt since everyone else will have one soon. He is undecided. I am not sure if he just doesn't want me to have all the work or if isn't interested in having a quilt. I don't really care either way, I just don't want him to feel left out. Of course I am going to have to sell something to buy the fabric, because I TOTALLY took fabric out of the budget for the next year. (If you saw my stash you would understand...however, if I am going to make Matthew a quilt, it is going to be with fabric he and I love....so I am going to have to sell something if he decides he wants a quilt :)

2 comments:

  1. BTW, the reason I named this post "enjoy this picture" was because I loved how this looked UNTIL I realized my huge error in taping the whole thing at once!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Know what, Betsy? I thought you had created a new design by cutting up the top and piecing in green sashing strips. I can relate to the parts of the quilting you like. I am, however, hoping that with my new sewing machine and frame set up that I will feel differently. Maybe you'll have to farm out a few quilts in the future. :-)

    ReplyDelete