Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Happy 9th Birthday Carolyn



Although I am WAY behind in capturing August memories in my blog, I wanted to make sure to have an entry today.

Carolyn had a fantastic birthday. Her teacher is quite energetic and full of fun. He made her a balloon bottle-nose dolphin and sang Happy Birthday to her on his guitar. She also got a construction hat, since their classroom theme is "under construction".

We picked Matthew up at school and then went directly (at 4:00) to get Happy Meals to celebrate (because we had to be at the softball diamond at 5:00). Carolyn got hit in the head with a ball when up to bat, but when I asked her how her head was, she asked, "why?" I asked, "didn't the ball hit you in the head?" Her reply (while smiling), "oh no mom, it hit my helmet!" Of course the thrill of the night was bringing birthday treats to the game.


Carolyn is going to have a Little House on the Prairie birthday party on Sunday. When I post that entry, check back here to see the lovely "log cabin" birthday cake I created for today. (It was a test run for Sunday) - I felt like it was held together with frosting (and skewer sticks if you must know), and was pretty homely, but Carolyn said it was both "awesome" and "amazing". One of my favorite things about the kid's birthdays is they LOVE their cakes, despite their obvious imperfections. When you see the picture you will know what I mean! I had made "grass" with colored coconut, which obviously took it up a notch!


Carolyn got a special birthday treat of "Lego girls" - one from each of her siblings. We previously had a shortage of girl Legos and Carolyn REALLY wanted some, so we searched and searched on the Internet. They exist, but I truly think Lego is missing the mark not just adding girl hair to all the boxes of Legos they sell. I mean really - get more girls interested in Legos - sell more Legos, right? Anyway, we bought several sets of girl Lego people on Ebay to be given for birthday and Christmas. Now we have so many, I am going to keep a couple back for Anna, when she leaves Duplos and joins in the others in their love of Legos. (Are you really surprised that Carolyn's favorite thing about Legos are the people? Carolyn is all about people!)

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see the cake, you creative girl, you!

    Hear you on the girl Lego thing--When Ben got really into them, so did Bridget...but all there really was is that pink house and pink garden/house thing? She would totally get into building girly things.

    Later!

    ReplyDelete