Thursday, September 6, 2012

I am gonna play you a tune on my.....

Tuba

It was either this or the flute we already own......

 The whole story is that last year Carolyn and I discussed instruments and I think I convinced her that the flute would be a good idea, since we wouldn't need to purchase one. I did tell her I would buy her another instrument if she really wanted one, but it probably wouldn't be as good as the flute we already own (because it was my 2nd flute). I also hinted it would save us money, so that if she ever wanted a piccolo, we could buy one.

 This year they had "try an instrument" day at school and afterward Carolyn listed good possible choices, including flute, clarinet and tuba. Last year she talked about the trombone some.

 Fast forward. I came to realize that she wasn't that thrilled about the flute and decided to be "supportive mom" and allow her to put her name in the hat to use one of the school's tubas, which was her very first choice. When I found out there were 15 kids wanting to play tuba or baritone, I even allowed her to pick another instrument if she wasn't chosen, as there were several available in the low price range. She said flute was her 2nd choice.

 Fast forward. Her name is drawn 2nd out of 15, so she could choose tuba or baritone (the much smaller, but similar instrument). Clearly she went for the gusto! We walked the tuba home and let's just say, it is going back by car at the end of the year!!

 It is insured. I have a solemn promise from my lovely daughter that it will never be set down, except in its case. (Since Matthew had his mouth piece of his trumpet stuck about 4 times in 5th grade, mostly because it got "bumped" (read "dropped off a chair onto the floor"). Eventually Ken pried the entire trumpet apart in attempt to remove the mouth piece. Luckily we found it really cheap on Craig's List and 10 months later found another pretty cheap. Now Matthew has a "practice" trumpet that stays home (because it has duct tape keeping it together)......clearly I digress....still don't you just love C. with the tuba!! You go girl.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - she is going with gusto! How is that going for her?

    ReplyDelete