Sunday, June 16, 2013

The 6 year-in-the-making trip!

Around the time that Anna was born I had friends and family taking trips to Orlando.  It was then that I decided that I wanted to visit this vacation destination, but only once :0)

I decided that summer 2012 or 2013 would be perfect - Anna would be 5-6 years old (and might have a memory of it) and Matthew would still be young enough to not have a summer job.  I was in school last summer, so that was ruled out for both time and financial reasons.  So June 2013 was the our goal.  We planned most of the trip in January to book flights and hotels etc.  It was especially exciting to find out that Ken had enough "Hilton points" to pay for all but one hotel night and we could stay on "Universal" or "Disney" properties.  Before I write a book about our trip - which was great fun - let me post 2 pictures and focus instead on downloading all the pics to Snapfish and fold some of the dozen loads of laundry!

Day one - Universal Studios - The boys biggest thrill was getting to ride the Transformers ride at a "soft opening", weeks before the ride officially opens.  Anna liked the simpler things, like playing at the Curious George ball factory.  Carolyn alternated between thrill rides with the boys and hanging with Anna and me.
The Harry Potter area at Islands of Adventure was a big thrill for the majority of the family (even me - and many things about theme parks don't get me too excited) .  Every thing was made to be realistic looking and felt authentic-LOVED it.

Other days found us at Magic Kingdom, Sea World, water parks and the beach, but the laundry is beckoning me and sorting through the 900 pictures we took will be a pleasure! I love digital, because you can print just what you want and make sure you got a great shot without wasting film!  Also I will print many "collage" photos that will put several related pictures on a 4x6 - perhaps I am trying to convince myself that this will be a reasonable amount of photos in the end!

4 comments:

  1. Aw, forget the laundry! I want to know more!
    I know you have a lot of Harry Potter fans so I was thinking everyone would love that! (We have not been.) So then was your hotel a Universal property? And I heard if you do that then you get to go in an express line?
    Okay, looking forward to more of the vacation!!! Glad to hear you had a great time...you all deserve it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited!! I had no idea you went to Orlando and you can be sure I will be eager to learn all about your trip. We are going in October and many of the details you posted about were already hinted at by my Boys. (I used a capital B because that group is headed up by the biggest of all.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Betsy, I am so excited to hear all about your trip. I think you need to give yourself a break from the pile of laundry and catch your breath! As we both know, they aren't going to go anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We keep saying we want to go ... and keep finding our way back to the beach. Your post is a good reminder to think about it again.

    ReplyDelete