Thursday, June 20, 2013

Why you should never put your tuba into the washer/dryer!

 Because you end up with a Baritone - obviously!
(September 2012 - Carolyn with her school tuba)
Carolyn with her own baritone (May 2013) !!  The enormous difference in size isn't done justice in the pictures.
Carolyn decided to try playing the Baritone instead of the tuba at the end of 5th grade and I went to rent her a school Baritone for the summer.  (I then learned that the school actually uses a Euphonium....who knew - see below for your new info of the day)  

I then went to the music store to buy her a mouthpiece so she could keep one at school and one at home.  In the window was this beautiful Baritone.  It is an antique, but plays beautifully.  Now I don't need insurance on a $2000  instrument nor need I worry about every bump and scrape it might receive.  It doesn't have a case, but the cost for purchase was approximately the price of 2 years rental + insurance for the school horn  (and I thought that the rental was a great deal!).  Plus it is gorgeous - I want to hang it on the wall when if she ever stops playing it!  

(She gets to use a school euphonium for band practice, so she doesn't need to lug this one around.  Didn't know that these were two different instruments - but the euphonium has an upward bell and keys-the band instructor said it was fine to play one at home and one at school.) 
 Euphonium Boosey and hawkes.jpg  (euphonium pic from Wikipedia)

2 comments:

  1. How awesome that Carolyn gets something so special to call her own. Thanks for the music lesson too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great experience for her! I am excited to see if my boys pick up an instrument in a couple of years. So cool.

    ReplyDelete