Sunday, February 14, 2021

2/10/2021

A week ago I got Ken's parents and aunt all scheduled for their vaccination through CVS.  (Ken's parents received theirs the following Sunday.)  BUT it was in Linn county, so I didn't think I could schedule my Dad their because he is from Des Moines county.  Fast forward to last weekend and I THOUGHT I got my Dad scheduled through Walgreens, but then he never got the confirmation and I realized that they cancelled his appointment because they couldn't schedule the second appointment due to lack of supply.  (Which makes one ask....why did they offer to schedule the 1st one, when they knew that no one could get the 2nd one??  Theoretically Walgreens only just opened up for this tier, and no one in this tier could have received dose one....but whatever!!!)  None the less, it was all on me.  The computer said "reschedule dose 1 and 2" lower on the page, but I missed that critical detail, thinking my Dad would be getting the confirmation to his email for the first dose and we would just have to keep working to get the 2nd one scheduled later.  When he didn't get the confirmation I realized I had made a mistake, I drove to Walgreens and was told I was the 6th person to ask about this issue THAT day, something was strange in the system.....I had planned to go to Burlington on Tues and drive him to Iowa City on Wednesday (because by this time I realized that you were not required to stay in your county and that Des Moines county was doing a slow roll-out). I think in part the larger counties get more vaccine and Des Moines county is small. 

Anyway, fast  forward to my disappointment on Tuesday and Wednesday when I wasn't taking my Dad to get his vaccine.  THEN  TAH DAH!!!! my niece Julie arranged for my Dad to get a vaccine at the HyVee in Cedar Rapids on Wednesday.  (Which ironically is the same Linn county where Ken's parents live and I could have scheduled him LONG ago had I known!!)  My brother happened to be going to see my Dad (he was IN the driveway....he ran into the house and they darted to Cedar Rapids, two hours away!!)  He received the Pfizer vaccine and we are so happy.  We were all worried that he would be delayed and then have to accept the Johnson and Johnson. (Which I am sure would be fine, but I want the older people to get the most efficacious vaccine.)


Let us all just shake our heads a little that old people need to use the internet and use it FAST to score a vaccine.  (Ken's parents don't even have internet or a computer!!)

We all are just feeling better now.....imagine how we will feel in 5 weeks!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment