Friday, October 16, 2020

10/16/20

Today I saw my first patient who was post-Covid19.  But she wasn't really "post", she just was no longer contagious because this disease started for her September.  She was still in the CCU (Critical Care Unit).  She had just been extubated from the ventilator, but she was still on some kind of supplemental breathing machine.  She couldn't talk above a whisper.  She was still NPO, unable to even swallow the liquid from an ice-chip safely.  She had infection that required gentamycin.  (this is why I was called as this drug is oto-toxic)  They also were trying to decide if she had a stroke.

People who don't wear a mask, especially people who say that this disease is a hoax, need to see this side of the disease.  She is only 55 years old.  She may have a moderate to severe hearing loss because of the medications, but because she wasn't completely lucid, I can't be sure yet.  She still is getting the gentamycin, so she may lose more hearing.  Like my front desk staff said, "why is this (hearing) even important right now?"  I had to agree as I was testing this sweet lady and she said things like "mama" and "baby".  (the nurse said she was hallucinating)  They implied she was going to be released soon, but I have to guess this is wrong or she is being released to a nursing home.

I can understand that the doctor wants to protect her hearing for her quality of life when she is looking at Covid in the rear view mirror.  I hope for her that it is soon.  Please pray that she didn't have a stroke and that she can fully recover.



1 comment: