Thursday, August 18, 2022

August 17 Joel leaves for Iowa State

 Joel went to the dentist and then left for school.  (He scheduled the dentist 6 months ago!)  It really worked out well because when he and Ken got to Iowa State it wasn't very busy for the move in.



Joel's good buddy Will....met in kindergarten....now his college roommate!


Will's mom took this photo - check out the cool steps.  (Carolyn saw this photo and said, "did he bring the pool noodle?" (to protect the head - his desk is under his bed)  We thought that was so sweet that she noticed.  They did forget the pool noodle, so he will need to be careful until we see him!)





Joel is pointing to his dorm - top floor of white building, 3rd window!



When Joel left, I told him to send pictures.  He joked, "What if I want to live in the moment?"  I teased - "live in the moment and then send me a different picture later" :0)

Anyway - he sent this to me from the cafeteria.  This is so great because in addition to Will he is with 4 boys from his old scout troop.  Evan (in the red) also ran Cross Country with Joel, but otherwise Joel hasn't really hung out with his scout buddies for a couple of years (the boy in the hat was home-schooled, not sure how his mom is handling this change - at least Joel was gone for most of his senior year doing activities and working, so I was used to not seeing him a bunch)!  

Ken indicated that the Ankeny kids have a group chat, so I bet they said, "who wants to go to dinner?" or something like that.  I love it - maybe kids will be less lonely at college.  Although to be clear, I am not worried Joel will be lonely at college.  I am worried I will be lonely without my kids, who are at college :0)


Poor sweet Joel does have Calc 3 at 7:45 am, 3 days a week and a different lecture at 8 am on a 4th day - so his days of sleeping in are OVER!  Luckily he did have to work many mornings this summer!

I was sorting socks this morning and found some of his - in my head I joked, "I better drive to Ames deliver these!" 








1 comment:

  1. Great pics! So glad he stopped living in the moment long enough to take and send it to you :)

    ReplyDelete