Monday, May 4, 2009

Matthew as Michael Faraday

If you don't know who Michael Faraday is (I didn't), you should. He invented the electric motor of course. Matthew did his presentation on Mr. Faraday on Friday May 1st. For months he said, "I want to make an electric generator for my talk." I found a neat science experiment in a book to which Matthew replied, "Mom - that is just a circuit, it doesn't generate electricity." (of course not!) As you know we have been a bit busy, but we (the Royal We, because I am not the engineer in the family) still gave it a try. As you can see Matthew is holding the generator in his hand for his talk. It didn't "exactly" generate anything, but since the last piece didn't arrive in the mail until the April 30th, it was a tall order! Matthew still was able to show his class how the generator was built by Michael and he had the Dynamo flashlight to demonstrate as well (another Faraday invention). He really worked hard on his presentation and I was very proud.

2 comments:

  1. I read Faraday and IMMEDIATELY thought of LOST's Daniel Faraday. I am seriously addicted to that program! This experiment is just AMAZING to me! I don't remember being that informed at Matthew's age! And I'm so thrilled at the idea of sharing these moments with my children when they are old enough. Congrats to Matthew and thank you for the inspiration! How awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell already that my knowledge base is going to vastly grow through the educational pursuits of my children. Thank you, Matthew, for the foreshadowing. Great job!

    ReplyDelete