Monday, May 18, 2009

Clearly I needed a deadline

1st I want you to be among the first invited to our 4th of July Celebration. (Actually if you are reading this from a distant land, don't come then - come when we can have fun w/out all the others around.) Anyway - last week I started contemplating our first party. When we moved to Indianapolis in the dead of winter, our first party was July 4th and I want to repeat that fun occasion. It sure has helped me "get in gear" with the house.

Now have a small celebration with me - there are no more cardboard boxes filled with things on the top level of my house! All the 18 gallon totes have been emptied or gone through and ready for storage. We actually have 5 EMPTY 18 gallon totes. We haven't had an empty tote since the day Matthew was born - we just keep getting more! (outgrown clothes, outgrown toys, crafts....you get the picture) It won't be until Anna outgrows Carolyn's clothes and Joel outgrows Matthew's that we will start really see the totes flying out the door. We have gotten rid of some baby toys though! The toys are probably the biggest tote hogger, but I want Anna to have the chance to play with the toys before I ditch them. With my lovely storage shelves I can keep the totes under control.

(No I don't have a picture for you re: the celebration above, because although the boxes are empty, I will be honest and say that "tidy" isn't the word to describe the upper level .....I am getting there though. Keep in mind, I have to change seasons, go through the apt. clothes, the storage unit clothes and the clothes that were left at the house in Newburgh for 4 months. I have to decide what will fit next year, what outgrown clothes should be kept, what to send to St. Vincent de Paul and what has become a dust rag. Add to that, it was 52 degrees and VERY windy on Saturday, so it isn't like I can completely ditch all things w/ long sleeves and pants yet!) I know excuses, excuses! Good thing I have a deadline!

4 comments:

  1. Who doesn't love a good party? Some of my most productive house improvements come as a result of anticipated company. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Empty totes--could there be anything better! :) Space!! Room! Yeah!! :)
    Unless of course they remind you of your too-quickly growing babies :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betsy...trade me places on the line of things to do! :) Congrats that things are moving along so well! Your party sounds like a great idea! That convinces me to go forward with the birthday one I've been contemplating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just filled totes! I told the kids that we were putting away 1/2 of their toys for the summer. They really got into it and filled the totes themselves! Hopefully I can go through them this fall and send a lot of them to the consignment sale!

    ReplyDelete