Monday, June 15, 2009

2nd week of summer

Life guard Grandpa - I actually want this picture at the bottom of the blog - does anyone know how to move it? (I accidentally deleted it when I was adding text.)---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Wednesday we went to The Iowa Living History Farms. I am not saying it is worth a 10 hour drive from Southern Indiana, but if you are closer than that - it is fantastic. In 1979 Pope John Paul said Mass at the place where the town church now exists!

There are two parts to the museum - we first went to the town, which is meant to represent approximately 1850. People are dressed in costume and act out roles (and answer questions).
The 2nd half of the museum is the farm. It is gigantic and walks you through a large forest. It starts here - representing the 1700 Ioway Indian's farm. They were some of the first farmers.
Next you wander into an 1850 farm-stead. They said all houses in this era (in Iowa territory)were this size - basically the length of the longest tree on the property.
Here is the barn from the farm reprenting the early 1900s. This barn and most of it's siding are original to 1889 when it was built.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Appreciate their optimism. These pictures are from Friday when we joined Ken's parents at the campground where they were staying. The kids made fishing poles with sticks, twine and "hooks" that Grandpa made for them.
We also got to swim (indoors) at the campground. We haven't used our city pool pass yet because it has been too cold. (One day was warm enough but we had plans early that afternoon.)
Here I am doing a swimming lesson with Carolyn because Grandpa was able to stand next to Anna on the steps. I wasn't able to get the kids signed up for lessons this summer, because they were full by the time I went to register. (They started registering the week we moved into the house, so I am going to forgive myself the delay!)
Here is Joel's lesson - I am wearing Ken's mother's suit because Carolyn forgot to bring her suit and I let her borrow mine. I know some might say I should have let her go without, but sometimes it is just better to be kind. I had asked the kids to "get dressed and grab your suit", but Carolyn missed it. I didn't feel like the punishment was needed, because she wasn't mean or malicious to anyone and she hasn't gotten to swim yet this summer.
Life-guard Grandpa - see above.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you have been busy!
    (You should be able to highlight the picture and then cut it and then go to where you want it (the end) and paste it. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the parenting lesson in there with Caroline and her suit. It's a good reminder to me that kindness goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete