Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The good the bad and the mystery.


The good is just my garden in general...still my favorite summer destination. We are getting tons of green beans, pea pods, zucchini and winter squash (still on the vine).


The bad is that my yellow squash and cucumber vines died a miserable death as a result of a bug encounter. If I knew last week that I was picking my last, I would have enjoyed them more! My tomatoes also have blight, but you worry less about that when you have almost 50 tomato plants (due to all the volunteer action). Plus the volunteers are at all stages of development, so as one plant may eventually die because of the blight, I have many still just prepping to give us tomatoes. Next year I will plant the tomatoes on the other side of the garden and mulch with straw....wish me luck.


The Mystery....just what is that green thing you can see in the picture above. I was guessing watermelon, just immature...but it tastes like squash.....but it smells like watermelon.....anyone?

2 comments:

  1. My guess is watermelon based on how the rind looks, Betsy. Sorry to hear you had some of your plants go bad...but your harvest looks wonderful! You are really inspiring me for a garden next year!

    ReplyDelete