Tuesday, July 21, 2009

At home learning at its best/worst.

Ok, the last time I was crazy enough to mix cornstarch and water for my kids to play with, Matthew was 3 years old. Yes that is him below! If you don't know, cornstarch mixed with water creates a wonderful mixture that is a a liquid and solid at the same time. If you squeeze it, it becomes like a solid ball, but as you hold it in your hand, it melts away like a liquid.
Anyway, after the experience in winter 2001, I decided that Glop or Oblic (depending on what you want to call it) would only be played with outside in the future. I also knew it would be a LONG time before it happened again!

Fast forward 8 years and Matthew is going to science camp. He brought home the recipe for this wonderful soquid (solid/liquid). After 8 years I had recovered from the first experience and we bought some more cornstarch. True to my word, the kids played with it outside. Don't they look like they are having fun?Of course, while I was in trying to get a quick dinner ready before needing to be somewhere at 5:30, things got a bit out of hand. (notice Anna's hair gel and face-paint) The only good thing is that Glop does a good job making magic marker come off hands, which was from Anna's earlier body painting experience. A quick bath (that Anna didn't want to get in, then didn't want to get out of) and Anna was as good as new. Next time (maybe in 8 years) Glop will be played with on the grass and everyone will be in swim-suits!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! We will have to try this too! I will report back- but I think I'll wait until I have nothing else going on that evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing stuff and the sensorial experience is wonderful. you are a good mom for making it again.

    ReplyDelete