Monday, July 13, 2009

Straw trick!

I know there are only a few of you out there who garden and preserve produce....but this is still a neat trick. (I learned from the Internet....so you know it works - ha ha.) Actually, I can tell you from my experience, this trick works:

After you blanch your veggies to freeze and then ice them down to stop the cooking process, put them in your freezer bag. Get as much air out of the bag as you can, then insert a straw into the bag....proceed to suck out any remaining air and quickly seal. It is almost like you bought a vacuum storage system. It really gets the air out, hopefully preventing freezer burn. Obviously it is slick, or I probably wouldn't have felt the need to share! Kids really think it is cool.

2 comments:

  1. i am waiting for a blog entry on your 40th!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I didn't know I already owned a vacuum bag sealer! Great tip!

    ReplyDelete