Thursday, September 3, 2009

Always a bridesmaid, never a.......

Have you ever read.....
Well we have....when Carolyn was in kindergarten, right about the time her brother was asked to be the Ring Bearer in his cousin's wedding. Let's just say, we were a little envious. Carolyn wanted to know if she would ever be a flower girl. I said that I didn't think so, but that it was ok, blah blah blah. Add insult to injury....at the wedding, where Joel was the Ring Bearer, Anna was asked to be the flower girl at a different cousin's wedding. (Yes I did point out that Anna would barely be 3 at the time, but they still wanted her.) Again, Carolyn was happy for her sibling, but you tell that she really LOVED weddings and all the hoopla and couldn't wait to play a part some day! Plus Joel got Legos as a thank-you gift and I could just see Carolyn's mind working, (she never actually said this) "You GET to be in the wedding AND they give you gifts....I would do it for free......I would pay someone so I could be in a wedding."

Well, Carolyn's day will arrive Memorial Day weekend. The same cousin who is having Anna as a flower-girl has asked Carolyn to be a Jr. Bridesmaid. I have never seen such a smile on Carolyn's mouth. She was estatic. Before I let her cousin asked her, I told this cousin to make sure that Carolyn knew that Jr. Bridesmaids must always be honest. (We have had some fibbing issues of late that are driving me crazy.) When we talked about it, Carolyn said that her cousin said "she had to be honest, trustworthy, respectful and some word I didn't know and can't remember". Every little bit helps -right? I loved it when Carolyn was talking to her cousin and had been popped the questions, she said, "Can I ask my mom?" So sometimes they do remember me! I am so happy for Carolyn and I know she will love every minute of it!

6 comments:

  1. Yay Carolyn! How exciting! You mean day after tomorrow kind of wedding?? It's hard to believe our kids are old enough to be jr. bridesmaids...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops - I fixed the post to say Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy for Carolyn!! I remember also always wanting to be in someone's flower girl in a wedding from reading books when I was younger. (I never was! The first wedding I was in was my older sister's in 1995, so I was "old" by then!) It will be a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet! I know she will be just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it awesome when our wishes come true! I am happy for Carolyn! And I love that you found a way to combine integrity and responsibility (qualities of the jr bridesmaid) with the priviledge of the position. You go Mom! Great lesson all around. I'm with Krista...can't wait to see pictures! So,...will this make a busy wedding weekend for you?

    ReplyDelete