Monday, August 31, 2009

Ms. September's package has arrived.

S.S., a friend from Newburgh, is a fellow quilter and invited me to join a virtual quilting bee. In a nut-shell - there are 12 quilters and 12 months. Each month the 12 quilters make 1 block for 1 of the members, who has been predetermined. (So that at the end of the month that 1 quilter has 12 blocks to put together as a quilt.) At the start of the month, the quilter of the month sends out a package with some, or all of the fabric needed for the block and basic guidelines.

My friend is the guinea pig and sent the beautiful fabric above. I have been looking through one of my quilting books and making sketches ever since the mail arrived. (of course watching Anna on the playground during Matthew's soccer practice and later in our back-yard all-the-while)

I think I have my basic idea, but plan to consult my sister-in-law (quilting genius) this evening to see what she thinks. I also am going to make a small test run on some of my own fabrics!

Update on my goals from today - clearly I had too many goals for a day in which fabric arrives in the mail. I made terrific headway on both, but neither goal is completely done. To be honest, I could power them both out before bed, but I would rather tinker with my quilt block and go to bed happy rather than with a clean dining room table!

I love a new project, especially one that reminds me of simpler days, when I had time to make an entire quilt! I also like making new friends, even if they live across the country!

2 comments:

  1. A blog post about my fabric?! How lucky am I? I'm so glad that you have joined our bee. I can't wait to see what you create...but please do me a favor. If you finish your block and decide to post it, will you let me know? I want to make sure mine is done before I see everyone else's treasures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea....I'm hoping you'll post photos of your work...but I am good with keeping it a surprise from Suzanne!

    ReplyDelete