Friday, February 5, 2010

Matthew's invention

Matthew came home and Monday and let me know that his orginal "invention" project was not going to work, because a chemical that he needed was $31. I sort of remembered him talking about an invention, but never so concretely, so I asked him, "when is this project due?" To this he replied, "today or tomorrow, but Mrs. Long said we can have until Thursday, since we don't have class until then".....woah....hold the phone. Anyway, after asking him when he thought he was going to get started on this project and reminding him that usually projects of this nature take a bit more planning, he proceeded with his new idea. He wanted to make something that melts the ice that freezes on a leaky window when it is very cold (less than 15 degrees). I did help him a little bit, but he did the experiment himself and was pretty scientific about the whole thing. BTW. Despite the extension offered by his teacher, I made him finish the project and turn it in on time....be responsible and all that! I also taught him the important rule of never mixing chemicals...when he wanted to see if mixing his "melters" would give an improved product. I am hoping this lesson sticks even if nothing else does. I told him how deadly toxins can be created by mixing comman household chemicals. Since he wants to be a scientist someday this is important, don't you think?



Here are the items Matthew tested for their ability to melt ice.



These are the items Matthew tested for absorbency.


The final product. Matthew combined the 3 most absorbent materials and soaked them in salt water, then let the water evaporate. Matthew wanted to know if I thought he could patent the invention, so no one could steal his idea. I said, "let's start by finishing the assignment and worrying about the patent another day".

2 comments: