Friday, February 5, 2010

Valentine boxes (A.K.A. are you crazy trying to decoupage with a 2 year old)

Joel is my first child who has had the assignment "build a Valentine box". The other kids always made their Valentine collectors in class. I have wonderful memories making Valentine boxes.....one year I even had a babysitter help me make a box that looked like a girl.....I loved that box. Anyway, we had great fun building Joel's box last night. Anna REALLY wanted to help, so I told her that she could make her box when Joel was at school the next day. (She held me to it!) Joel's box has a Pokemon theme (my idea, but only because he didn't think of it first). He really worked hard and commented, "I really like doing this", which I guess shocked him, since he isn't much of a "color pages" kind of guy. He let Anna be in the picture with him!

Here is Anna with her box (Dora theme) and my box....which she helped me decoupage. It actually went very well. I decided everyone in the family was going to make Valentine's for everyone else, so I needed a box. Of course, as sure as I was that Joel would like a Pokemon theme, I knew I needed a fabric box. We took all the little scraps that are too small to sew with and glued them all over the box. It was fun to work on the project with Anna. I realize that she is following in Carolyn's footsteps and that she is going to be a crafter. I can tell that this has only just begun.

Speaking of Anna, better go check on her, since the sound in the monitor informs me that she is no longer in her room (but close enough that I can here her). Matthew is lucky....I locked his door!

1 comment:

  1. Valentine boxes at home are a really good idea! I have been thinking of what I will do for the boys but hadn't given much thought of them doing something for everyone else.

    ReplyDelete