Monday, February 8, 2010

Quilt of the month club - February

I believe this month's quilter is S.S's niece. The person is going to college next fall, so I am just guessing. She sent different background fabrics to different quilters, green representing college, purple for nursing (her major) and pink representing love. I received the green fabric and accented with her other color choices. She wants her quilt to be called, "Loud Mouth Quilt" and asked for phrases, words, quotes or fabrics related to the theme (in my case college). This was VERY fun to make. It is a challenge to piece letters together. I speculate many others will applique, but I am not really good at that yet. I had seen pieced letters on a web-site and was excited (maybe nervous) to give it a try.

The square looks better in person and says, "THINK" "GROW". I had a 3rd word in my original design, but was afraid the letters would get too small to work with effectively. I think I made a good choice. The letters are supposed to be a bit "wonky" (in other words, not all symetrical and the same size) which is a good thing, because I think that is the only way I can make letters!!!

Lest you not think this was really a challenge, the bottom middle of the W has 8 1/2 square triangles and the K is 14 pieces! I really enjoyed making this square! I think I might have to make my kids pillow shams with their names on them.....after I get their quilts done - of course (and the 2 baby quilts and confirmation quilt....which is almost done).

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE it! You did an awesome job. I noticed you even lined up the green stripes.

    Great job fussy cutting the O, too!

    Kim's going to love it! If you are back in our neck of the woods after August, you can get a chance to see it as Kim's going to be at UE in the Fall. Yay for us!

    ReplyDelete