Tuesday, January 26, 2021

1/26/21

Yesterday I came home from work early during the start of the blizzard.  (Road conditions were fine, but the snow was coming down, so you knew it would be bad by normal rush hour (which normally isn't much of a thing in Des Moines ).)  The schools left out 2 hours early.  I was glad to get home before the roads were poor!  A guy I work with complained that we closed the clinic because we fall  under the umbrella of pediatric clinics, but we see adults too.  He indicated that if staff were willing to work and patients wanted to come, we should stay open.  UGH....almost everyone cancelled!  We can't stay open and not see patients for hours so that the one guy who isn't bothered by poor road conditions can come in at the end of the day.  To be honest, this colleague just likes to complain.  I am ALWAYS happy to get home before the very bad weather hits.

Other news from yesterday:  My Dad's county started sign-ups for vaccine distribution and he is on the list!!!  YEAH!!!

 My clinic is closed today .....because almost everyone cancelled!  I am sure this morning was terrible on the side streets, but it stopped snowing by 10:30.  Snow day for the Ankeny schools (really most of central Iowa if I had to guess).

I think the bushes by the front of the house demonstrate the snow the best.  10-12 inches, but with much more than that in our driveway because of the way the wind blows.  (but now look how nice the driveway looks.....gotta love a good snow blower followed by a little scraping and a sunny day!!)


Here is our neighbor's house.  We are taking care of their snow too.  Honestly, the plow drivers love to pile the snow in front of their driveway and mailbox!  (It was up to my thigh...not kidding)


Anyway the roads are all clear now....well maybe not our cul-de-sac, but the main roads.  This is a very good thing, because Matthew and Ken took Carolyn back to school on Sunday and on the way back to Ankeny Matthew found out that he was added into a class that meets in person each Thursday.  He is heading back to Iowa City today.  He plans to come back here on Friday as he will be working some on weekends and is lonely in Iowa City with (now almost) all online classes, living in an apartment.  (He takes the pandemic seriously, which I appreciate, and we are happy to have him home.)  He is very excited by this new in-person class specifically.  I can't wait until the fall with all classes in person for both my college kids. 

Look again at the snow in our cul-de-sac.  Normally by now they would have come again.  (They came in the night or at least before 6 am, but haven't come today!!)  Only once have I ever gotten stuck in the cul-de-sac.  About a half-hour ago, I just happened to look outside and a grey minivan came into the cul-de-sac unaware of the terrible drifting there.  He became stuck.  Joel, the man and I had to dig for 5-10 minutes to unstick him!!!  It is like he was high centered on the snow under his van.  We dug, then pushed with no luck, dug some more and out he went.  He got a little ways away and stopped to thank us....I thought "oh no don't stop the momentum!" but he was at a better place and was able to keep going.  I said to Joel, it is true what they say, if you want to feel good, do good!  I felt on cloud nine after helping him, which was good, since I was sad to have both of my college kids gone again.

UPDATE:  just dug out a 2nd car (this time a neighbor and another came to help)!

We made a big path in the cul-de-sac for backing up tomorrow and getting out!!
   

1 comment:

  1. You have certainly had a rough winter so far. Glad you were able to get out of work early and get home.

    ReplyDelete