Friday, October 16, 2009

Quilt update

Here are the first 2 block for my friend's K. and J.'s baby. Simple, but I think they will come together nicely. I have started on the 3rd block and have the 4th mapped out in my head.
After going back into the quilt making "business", I felt very glad that my first baby quilt was for a 4th baby, since sometimes later babies get less "home-made" items. This isn't true for Anna, who got an elaborate TWIN size quilt for her first birthday from her Auntie D. (more on that later).

It got me thinking about another friend H.K., who will be having her 4th baby in early 2010. I decided to make a quilt for this baby too! (I guess I have been biten by the bug and need some creative outlets now that Ken's new job (same company, slightly different responsibilities, larger territory) is causing him to be gone more.).....anyway I digress.....

There is a long story to the quilt I am making for baby K. When I was preganant with Joel I decided to make a quilt top for the St. John summer social. I knew if I didn't do it then it would never happen. At that time I would go each Monday night to quilt with the ladies at the church preschool. Here is what I produced (hand quilting done by all the members)....
It was queen sized and I had never done anything of that magnitude before or since. My big challenge is the quilting and not the piecing, so it was a good time to make this size of quilt....since I wouldn't be doing all the quilting.

The style was "square in a square" - see the "diamonds"???? they are created by bordering the square with fabric and then turning it on its side and cutting the border, which gives you trianges around your square......anyway this isn't the thriftiest way to quilt because when you cut the borders you are left with extra fabric (see below). Anyway I noticed if you put 2 pieces of the extra fabric together, it made a beautiful square. I really loved it when you put 4 of these squares together (see below). I decided someday I would make a quilt with these fabrics, but it would have to be a very special baby. Originally I thought, "maybe a grandchild", but this weekend I thought - "what are you crazy? enjoy working with the squares and give the quilt to baby K.!"

I spoke to H. to confirm that if baby K. is a girl, that she would still like a blue and yellow quilt, given the fact that there are lots of flowers in the fabric and I will use yellow borders to mellow out the blue. H. agreed that any baby K. would enjoy the quilt. I will keep you posted on the end product.

2 comments:

  1. You are too talented! I don't think we can be friends anymore! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I officially go on record as the one who infected you with the bug because I'm really enjoying the manifestations of the "illness"... :-)

    ReplyDelete