Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Trouble with the conservation of liquid

Do you remember learning in school that the amount of liquid in a small fat jar is the same as a tall thin jar and that the amount of liquid stays the same regardless of its container???? It is referred to as the conservation of liquid in math studies.

Well, Joel learned about this yesterday. He asked, "how tall is 5 cups?" and we proceeded to find a container that held 5 cups. Later he busied himself with filling the trick or treat pumpkin with water, a little water on the floor - no big deal.

Not sure what happened between the pumpkin (which was left downstairs) and bedtime, but when I looked in Joel's toothbrush drawer it was full of water. I am guessing he poured 5 cups in there. Then he went to bed. We didn't really talk about what he was doing after I found the water, but I am pretty sure Joel understood that his experiment was NOT A GOOD ONE! (yes I did yell - sue me)

2 comments:

  1. I guess the findings of the experiment might include the following:
    a. the drawer was not waterproof.
    b. the drawer may or may not have had a five cup capacity.
    c. many moms would yell upon finding water in the toothbrush drawer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...(giggle) ... I think I might get cranky on that one too. 5 cups in container = less cranky than 5 cups in drawer. At first I typed drawers but that seemed to have an entirely different 5 cup outcome! LOL.

    ReplyDelete