Monday, January 11, 2010

Expanded Repirtoire

Remember this little chef?

Up until today she was content with just messing up the counters and floors when we cook together (which is often, because any time she catches me mixing something she rushes to get her own spoon to "help"). Anyway, today I decided to make a recipe my mom gave me for "Breakfast Cookie". I wasn't sure we would use them for breakfast, but they sounded great.

Anyway, while Anna was stirring and I was getting another ingredient, I noticed that Anna decided that stirring wasn't as fun as ADDING ingredients and she had prodeeded to add more baking soda. I decided to go ahead and make the cookies, since she only added a little baking soda and "what harm could that do?" Well it did a lot of harm. The cookies are pretty awful. I think if I let Joel and Carolyn try them right after school, they might like them (because they come home from school hungry). Matthew will comment on the strange taste right away.

At least I don't have to worry about consuming too many - I did try 2, hoping I had just gotten a bad one with concentrated baking soda, but no luck. I must say, I remember tasting something similar to these before....when I added too much baking soda to a recipe, I guess. I know I wasn't as young as Anna and this doesn't seem as bad as the time I added meat tenderizer to cookies, when I thought I was adding vanilla. (although that didn't really impact the taste, truth be known!) I guess we all make some interesting creations in the kitchen!

3 comments:

  1. I see Anna is a kitchen chemist at an early age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One time the school i taught at had a middle school activity where the kids made cookies from each decade that they were assigned. (i bet this was when 1999 was turning into 2000). anyway we were at the party and some different group of girls kept coming up to me and very politely pointing out a certain plate of cookies that were "terrible", "horrible", etc. then i kept hearing more and more comments from the boys "disgusting" "gross" so we trace down who made them. i try one bite--aigh!! i find the two seventh grade boys who partnered to make them. UH WHAT DID YOU DO!?!?! in all seriousness, "well, we didn't have enough sugar, so we just substituted salt since we figure they look about the same"
    UH, NO!!!

    ReplyDelete