Thursday, January 21, 2010

Sometimes leave well enough alone



Last year (2008) I spent my Christmas money on a new sewing machine. I bought the cheapest Singer that they sold and left it set until we got settled in the new house. (my old machine wasn't working and I knew it would be at least $50 to have "them" look at it) I started quilting again and it is a great stress-reliever and creative outlet. I just used the machine as a straight line stitcher and it did great job.

Yesterday I had the great idea to monograph the kid's towels to make sure they always used their own towel. So I started fiddling with the machine and didn't have too much luck and finally decided to just put everything "back to normal" and still was having trouble. I checked the tension on the bobbin and the manual indicated that it needed to be loosened. So I did and then the little screw popped out and is lost in my beige with gray flecked carpet. Eickes. I am going to have Matthew (who I call Eagle eyes) take a look for it when he gets home from school. The silly screw fell in my lap, I saw it, but as the bobbin was coming apart I lost it! It is the smallest screw that I have ever seen and I will have to replace the entire bobbin case if I can't find it. Of course, this isn't a big deal, but I sure wish I had just left my straight line stitcher alone. (I got excited last night when I realized I could drop my feed-dogs. Maybe all my problems were related to the bobbin tension and I can do fancy again...but part of me doesn't want to mess up what WAS a good thing.)

And yes I did say a prayer to St. Anthony, but you can throw one out too if you have the time! I have several projects in the works and like to do just a bit at a time....I think I will have to make a trip to the store tomorrow if Matthew's search doesn't turn anything up! Sometimes I just need a sewing fix. Like my friend MJ said yesterday about something different, "there could be worse things". (not a direct quote :)

2 comments:

  1. sorry that is frustrating!!!!!! although yes, that is just lump in your cereal status, i guess....

    you know i fear change...it is going to take me a while to get used to your new blog look!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so understand what you mean. Remember last year when I was doing the Montessori quilts and my machine just up and died at the very worst possible moment? I will say more than just a single prayer.

    ReplyDelete