Thursday, January 28, 2010

Poor postal performance (by me), with a good ending

It started in December when my sister-in-law gave me a form to fill out to be my niece's confirmation sponsor. Within 2 days I took it to the church to have it signed and picked it up a couple days later. I planned to deliver it at Christmas - my first mistake. Then I lost the important document (bigger mistake). Then I forgot about the document (worst mistake). Fast forward, my brother calls on Sunday and asked nicely, "Do you have that form?" - eicks.....not realizing yet that it was lost, I searched up and down for it.

I didn't find it and took responsibility, searched the diocesan web site (included the 450+ priest manual) for a copy, then called my brother's church and then the religious ed office and asked for them to fax me a new copy. The silly form had to be on special paper, but the nice lady put it in the mail. (FYI form due at the end of the week, but I called on Monday, so if the stars aligned it would be on time.) Wednesday we checked for the letter before picking Carolyn up from choir - no letter - came home and the letter arrived at 4:15. For it to be on time it needed to be signed and mailed that day (directly to the priest).

By God's grace, our pastoral associate was at church, signed the form and we got it to the post office at 4:55! Feeling like a confirmation sponsor slacker, I got busy on my gift to my niece (already 25% finished). Now it is 75% done (see above).....I love it. I gave this same niece a baby blanket that was loved (in a well used way) more than any other blanket I have made since (it was one of my first). I will try to find a picture to show you. This niece is my God-daughter, so I wanted to makes something nice for her confirmation. When I make baby blankets I pray for the baby to be, in this case I prayed for the adult-in-the-church to be. I especially pray that she find the peace and joy in the church that I have found as an adult.

1 comment: