Thursday, March 5, 2009

Elijah of Buxton

I love to read good children's books, especially Newbery books. They are award winners for a reason! So often adult books are graphic, scary or smutty that I don't often don't want to read them. I was so happy when Matthew was old enough to read Newbery books! Here is the latest, that he read for book club. I started to read it then, but didn't finish it until tonight (I had to wait until it came in at the public library, since Matthew had to return his school book.)

This book is about a boy growing up as the first child born free in Buxton Canada to escaped or freed slaves. I recommend it for your kiddos if they are old enough now, or just tuck it away in your memory banks. (There is some serious subject matter, so I would say 4th grade.) Boys might like it better than girls, but I loved it.

BTW If Matthew was recommending books, he would say the Percy and the Olympiad series or 39 Clues, but he liked this book as well. If you have good book recommendations for any of my kiddos, pass them on.



2 comments:

  1. I was so excited when I saw this author's name on your post! A name I actually remembered from my teaching days when I used to be the queen of YA Lit. Christopher Paul Curtis wrote The Watsons Go to Burmingham, which was a runner up, and then he wrote Bud, Not Buddy, which won the Newbery. I would read Bud, Not Buddy to my sixth and seventh. Loved it!! I got to go to the International Reading Association convention when it happened to be in Indianapolis that year (2000, i think). My awesome principal who I know I have told you about before, let me take PROFESSIONAL LEAVE FOR A WHOLE WEEK to go every day!!! Anyway, at this time, Curtis had just won the Newbery for Bud and I got to hear him speak, get a book signed, totally cool!!! I got to meet a bunch of authors that week (Lois Lowry, if you know of her, cool!). I knew that he has since had several books come out, but of course, I have yet to read them.
    Okay, you got me all wound up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betsy, a very good friend of mine was on the Newbery Committee one year. She writes reviews of books and happens to be my own personal librarian. She's an awesome resource. If you are interested in her suggestions, here is the link: http://www.earlyword.com/category/childrens-and-ya/

    We are just delving into read alouds of books I remember reading from my childhood. I'm glad you are reading the Newbery books! Am I a total geek if I admit that one of my goals is to read every year's Newbery winner?

    ReplyDelete