Thursday, March 12, 2009

Newburgh Indiana, May 2003 - March 2009

The best thing about this house is that this is where our two youngest children joined our family (once again - not IN the house - at a hospital, but you know what I mean). The 2nd best thing I loved about this house wasn't the house, but the town in which we lived. I loved our church and all the fantastic friends we made here.

Re: the house itself....I will miss the gigantic backyard and the fact that we lived in an area where the brickyards made an all brick house affordable to us. You will see in a future entry that brick houses are WAY out of our price range in a state where brickyards aren't so prevalent! You can't have everything, but if I could pick up and bring this house with me to Ankeny, I would in a heartbeat! (of course in this magical world I would place it on top of a basement and change the tile color (see below) and add sidewalks - (it's a magical world remember?) In that case, I would put it on a cul de sac!
Anna is showing off our beautiful (VERY NEW) wood entry way. We had this put in right before we moved because we had to replace three broken tiles. The builder put in obsolete tiles and didn't leave any extra so we had no choice but to completely replace the entry way. Our agent thought the wood floor would help sell the house in the buyers market that we were working in. We will never know, but it did look marvelous (wish we could have enjoyed it ourselves).
Ok - my kitchen only looked this clean when I was having a showing to try to sell the house. Not even having guests at my house got the kitchen THIS clean. I really liked this kitchen (esp. after the new paint job), but I really HATED the white tile floor. (It looked dirty all the time, just one meal after cleaning it and I felt like I needed to get on my hands and knees again - which if you know me, I DID NOT get on my hands and knees after each meal or even each day.) We hated even more that the builder didn't leave us one extra tile (are you seeing a pattern here?) and we had to have the Grout Doctor come and pull 10 tiles out of our laundry room closet to replace cracked tiles.
I wish I could somehow live like this without cleaning 2 hours every night after the kids went to bed.
We are re-looking at a couple of houses on Saturday, so we may have our new home entry shortly.

4 comments:

  1. I know just what you mean about the brick houses. Where we came from, brick was not prevalent and so when we showed people pictures of our brick home, we got lots of oohs and ahs. I never went to your home here but now I am tempted to drive by and just visit your old neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree on the while tile. I have that in my house (kitchen, entryway, bathroom) now and it always looks filthy, especially the kitchen. We had some off-white beige one in our old house and it was SOO much better.
    I have a lot of fond memories in that kitchen with you, only it didn't look like that when I was there, you are right! So looking at THAT picture is actually a little weird. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya, sistah, about cleaning for hours each evening after the littles ones are in bed. 8 months of it now. We will probably have the filthiest house in the state after we move - going on a cleaning hiatus! Love the pictures - your kitchen was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't forget about the butterflies that came in the Spring! I loved that milk weed!

    ReplyDelete