Tuesday, April 20, 2010

April VBQ (virtual quilting bee)

Another good title would be - Intimidating - yes, impossible - no.



You are going to have to take my word for it that I did what I was supposed to do for the VBQ this month. 1/2 the quilters did the blocks I did and 1/2 did "mirror" blocks. So when put all together, a Snake Charmer's quilt will result.

If you aren't impressed by my blocks - you should be! I am a straight line sew-er, so when I saw that we had to do curves I panicked a bit. Luckily, I had a week to just let the packet set, while I finished preparing for Carolyn's First Communion. By the time I started the blocks, I was ready for the challenge. I did a practice block with my own fabric - which was a GREAT idea. I helped me to figure out how to keep the puckers at bay, which was my biggest fear. I used MANY MANY pins, even below where I was sewing to keep the fabric nice and straight and smooth. My buddy SS told me that when she did a circle once, she put in many little snips on the edge of the seam to help it lay flat, so I did this as well. I am not sure if it was my snips or something else, but the blocks are pucker free!

I would have never tried this on my own, but now that I have I don't think I will be such a curve-a-phobe in my sewing.

These blocks are going out in the mail tomorrow - not risking anything happening to them. I am very happy to have project completion on this one! Glad I didn't have to hire a quilting expert to help me finish these (yes the thought crossed my mind).

2 comments:

  1. These are really cute, Betsy! I can see where it would be tricky. And I especially can appreciate overcoming a task you weren't sure about - love that feeling of accomplishment!

    I would love to see the whole quilt when all of the pieces are joined together if anyone posts a photo.

    I bought some fabric for my oldest to make a quilt. It's much more narrow than I expected and I need to figure out how to use the fabric in as close to one piece as possible and also add to the sides for width. The whole thing is completely out of my league but I am determined. We'll see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good job! I made quite a few blocks with practice fabric too. It was a good opportunity for me to face my fears about curves as well.

    ReplyDelete