Sunday, April 18, 2010

Carolyn's First Communion

I think Carolyn had a very wonderful First Communion. The Mass was centered on the First Communicants and their special day. I especially enjoyed when the kids sang their song (We come today to break this bread). Of course asking Carolyn to sing is literally like "preaching to the choir", so she really did a nice job. She brought up the water during the presentation of the Gifts, so that was lovely to see as well.



The Priest and Bishop asked that we not take pictures during the Mass, but luckily we have a parishioner who set up a wonderful photo-op. for the kids the week before the ceremony. She took 5 great shots and her prices were not much more than you pay to print the pictures, so of course I bought every one she took. I don't have those back yet, but am so glad to have had them taken. It was interesting, because it wasn't like in Indiana where everyone came to get their pictures taken in the large group and so I think many people missed out on a wonderful opportunity, since the photographer did such a nice job.



Carolyn's special day was attended by both sets of grandparents, her Aunt Mary and friend Gary, her Aunt Colleen, cousins Nicole and Laura. We didn't get a great family picture because we were staring into the sun, so I won't even post one, since we look rather goofy.



Here is the nice bunch of kids who were in Carolyn's Religious Education class this year. I was able to teach with 2 other super ladies and I think everyone had a good experience. We were able to offer the kids different perspectives and there wasn't a huge pressure to teach if Anna was sick, since the other ladies were there. I also was invited to attend "On a Journey" faith formation that was facilitated by one of my co-teachers. I often find when I volunteer to help at church or school, I get so much more back than I ever need to sacrifice.

4 comments:

  1. Both sets of grandparents--awesome!

    No pictures at all during Mass--my Mom would have not been able to handle it!

    Love that Carolyn had some special parts!

    Thinking of you in spirit as we shared the weekend together from afar!

    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks breathtaking- I can see a little Betsy in her! Congrats Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn looks so pretty in her dress. What a wonderful sacrament to receive in the presence of family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete