Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Fifth Grade Concert

Yesterday was Matthew's end of the year concert. Yes I did have one little tear thinking of how much he has grown.



Here is a snippet of one of Matthew's songs. I am glad that Ankeny Public schools doesn't take the separation of church and state thing too far. (they are singing a song about the Prophet Ezechiel! They are allowed to learn a lot about different cultures and religions - they aren't banned the way they are in some public schools) BTW Matthew is in the 2nd row, with the glasses, this was the best I could do given the limitations of my camera and the heads in front of me.



I love that Matthew is in the band. Ken and I were both in the band (although he promised to never tell the kids that he played the drums, since I hate the drums). Actually band wasn't my favorite activity, because my good friends weren't in the band, but I think it is a great way for Matthew to meet other kids. I also think it is good to learn an instrument. We now own 2 trumpets....the first one (aka: the practice trumpet) frequently got the mouth piece stuck onto it and the last time Ken tried to pry it off he broke the trumpet. It still plays, but I am not about to ask Matthew to play a trumpet with duct-tape at school and the repair would be more than the trumpet is worth - or pretty close. I bought trumpet #1 for less that it would have cost to rent it this long, so we are still ahead of the game. Trumpet #2 cost a little more, but we have established that Matthew enjoys playing the trumpet and Joel is already chomping at the bit to play it in 5th grade. We have still have paid less than 1/2 for the 2 trumpets than we would have paid for a new trumpet from the music store, and our "new" trumpet can stay at school, keeping it from being banged around back and forth to school...so it is all good! (yeah Craigslist (where I found both trumpets)

Kindergarten doesn't have a concert, so I thought it only fair to show Joel at Matthew's concert. Here he is wondering why Anna got a sucker and he didn't. (I could hardly say, "to keep her quiet".)

No comments:

Post a Comment