Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Serious series

Although I am sure there are 18 other things I should be doing, I need to tell you about my latest favorite book. That of course reminded me that we, McClearys, love our book series. SOOO, I thought since I was telling you about one of them, I would tell you about my favorites. I am sure Matthew would argue that I should include The 39 Clues Series and Percy and the Olympiad, but since I haven't read those personally, I can only give you Matthew's recommendation - 2 thumbs up - WAY up, 2nd and 3rd greatest series after Harry Potter (so says Matthew).

Please feel free to tell me your favorite book or series in the comments section or in an email. Keeping 4 kids in books is a full time job!
This is the 3rd in the series about Mrs. Dowdel. (First and second....A Year Down Yonder and A Long Way from Chicago.) We actually started reading this series when I got confused and was looking for other books by the author of Soup.....for the record that is Robert Newton Peck (Matthew would also recommend that series, but again, I haven't read it). I LOVE this series of books, but the last one does talk about a little girl not believing in you know who....so I can't recommend it to Carolyn yet....but she would love it too. Matthew commented, "I can't wait for the next in the series". Unfortunately for us Mrs. Dowdel is older that dirt, so although there may be another book, there probably won't be a bunch. Great book for the season, but read the others first - they are quick reads, won't take long.
Henry and Mudge.....our first favorite! Love H and M and practically cried when I realized that we had read every last one that had been written. Plus the author started writing about Henry's cousin, so she may not be doing too many more about Henry. (Although books about cousin Annie are good too.) There are Puppy Mudge books for the newer reader, we love them all.
I loved this series as much as Matthew. Even with the magic stuff....Harry is just good. The stories are well written. Sad to finish book 7. Love the movies too, and I don't say that very much.
Not my favorite, but I have read some, so I can include this series on the list. Plus, if you are trying to get a little girl to read - here is your answer. Carolyn was crazy-go-gahgah about this series this summer. Of course since I don't have to try to get Carolyn to read, I would have preferred other choices. But they made her happy, so who could ask for more.

Piggy and Gerald. this one is for Joel. We actually never knew of P & G before Joel was learning to read. They are cute and funny and are great for a new reader. Since they are so funny, Joel wanted to read them again and again, and finally he could read the whole book, just from having seen/heard the words so much. That has to be a good thing. Plus it makes you smile - another good thing.

My kids are huge fans of this series of science books. They always want me to read to them from these books. I think they really teach the kids great information and do it in a very interesting way. We have a set of these books that are Aunt Debbie's. We will return them when she has Grandchildren. They are THAT good. (We are trying to take excellent care of them.)

That's all for now....I am glad when I am old and gray, I can remember our happy moments reading our favorite series! Now I am going to bed, because none of those 18 things I should be doing sound better than going to bed. (Plus I was up at 5 when Ken left for KC and never did get back to sleep. Wish I hadn't finished A Season of Gifts....it was so much fun.)

1 comment:

  1. I remember when I was teaching reading A Long Way from Chicago. I used to be SOO up on all the young adult lit...loved it. Miss it. How would I ever get caught up on now 8+ missed years ? Oh well. I loved being a good resource on all that when I was teaching...I could tie it into so many of my graduate classes which was great too--where your classwork has real application in your classroom the next day with real kids! Oh, those were the days. Why do I always turn my comments into living in the past, hahah!!
    You might have inspired me to check out A Season of Gifts for ol' times sake!

    ReplyDelete