Sunday, August 2, 2009

The much maligned watermelon

Ok - there are ZERO watermelon in my garden (as far as I can tell). Of course, you probably trust me as far as you can throw me, since I told you that watermelon vines were the bully of my garden about a month ago.

Well, my mother-in-law came and said "those are pumpkin, not watermelon" and straightened me out. I must say, now that they are turning a bit orange, I probably would have figured it out on my own - but always appreciate the help in the garden.
Just so you know, pumpkins look alot like watermelon in the early stages. If you don't believe me just ask Winnie the Pooh (who is very disappointed at the early stages of his pumpkin-growing adventure). You may be asking yourself - didn't this woman know she had planted pumpkin?....yes I did, but I also planted watermelon and just assumed the pumpkin didn't make it! Maybe we will be surprised and get a watermelon yet-there is another plant that I think is pumpkin, but since they have a different shape than the pumpkins that I thought were watermelon...you never know.

Our big producers now (growing in amongst the pumpkin) are spaghetti squash. Well worth a 10 hour drive - if you would like some! We'll also have butternut squash to share when it ripens.

By the way...this does solve the mystery from the previous post - the plant in the picture was a pre-mature pumpkin!

3 comments:

  1. This is funny! Now that you mention it, I knew pumpkins start out like that! I love spaghetti squash and would drive 5 hours if you want to meet half way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I love spaghetti squash too. Maybe Krista and I should carpool. :-)

    ReplyDelete