Friday, December 18, 2009

USPS and an old tradition, UPS and a new one!

I love getting the mail in December. I love reading the Christmas cards and letters and seeing all the pictures. Today was an especially great day to get the mail (USPS - United States Postal Service - if you aren't familiar with the initials) and a separate package (UPS).

OLD TRADITION
Approximately 15 years ago (could be as few as 12, but I know I didn't have Matthew yet and I lived in my house, not apartment, in Omaha). I sent a good buddy a Christmas ornament. It is called a Friendship ball ornament and you put a little gift in it. Although she certainly was under no obligation, although it often becomes a tradition with these balls, she returned it to me the next year with a little gift inside. So went the tradition ever since. I was so happy to see this package in the mail today for 2 reasons. #1 It is a sweet reminder of an old friend and such a cute little bird (see below). #2 I could not remember if it was my year to send the ball. I could hardly call my friend and say, "do you have the ball or do I?", especially since that would imply that she needed to send it back to me. FYI to my buddy - next year when it arrives in your mail box, you are free to stop returning the friendship ball - no pressure - but a lot of fun.
The pretty ball. (just a bit bigger than a baseball).

A sweet bird ornament for our tree...LOVE IT!

NEW TRADITION
UPS and Fed Ex often have packages for Ken, so I hardly get excited anymore when I see the truck. Today however they had a package for me that will start a wonderful new tradition in my family. We haven't read the book yet, since I saved opening the UPS box until after the kids went to bed, not knowing what was inside.
This little guy was sent from a dear friend. She told me about her Elf and a Shelf about a week ago and the fact that this little guy moves all over the house and the kids have fun searching for him. She asked if I had one and if I was the lying sort of person I would have said "YES" because when I said "No", I worried, "I hope she doesn't feel like she has to send me one!!!" Well, I am sure she didn't feel like she HAD to send me one, but I am guessing she knew my kiddos would LOVE it. THEY WILL. For the record, this little guy does look a lot like 3 little elves my parents had when I was growing up, they weren't all red though and I know they didn't move in the night.

I am going to make a rule that if you find the Elf, you can't tell anyone, so that the kids who need a bit more time can still enjoy the fun. We don't call Matthew "Eagle Eyes" for nothing, but luckily for the younger kids, he does like to sleep in.

So THANK YOU to two long time friends for making my Christmas Merry with two fun traditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment