Sunday, September 6, 2020

9/6/20


 Illinois coronavirus: Remdesivir drug trial patient describes recovery from  COVID-19 - ABC7 Chicago

When Covid started, and we learned that people with certain commodities were much more at risk, one of the people I immediately thought of was my friend Tammy.  I have only seen her twice since Covid began.  Initially the outbreak occurred and we were all so happy that she was safe in St. Louis with her mom.  (She had went there for a funeral, then the schools shut down.)

Later she came back to Ankeny, but I felt we were both too much risk to each other (because of her flying and because of my work and my kid's work).  A few weeks ago, she was desperate for batteries and a phone charger because the Derecho knocked out her power.  I saw her twice during a 10 day period of time.  I wore a mask and stood at a distance.

On 8/21/20, Tammy wrote us a long text asking one of the group of us to go on walks.  (Earlier in the summer she wanted to get together outside for a BBQ, but everyone declined.)  I told her that I loved her too much to put her at risk.  She replied, "I understand everybody's concern but realize we're going to be walking outside.  That's why this is an OK thing to do...Miss all of you a lot.  I don't have anyone else to be around.  I have no family here, I don't go to work and I 'm stuck in my apartment.  Maybe we're just not right when I go home to St. Lousi but we all get together as family and friends and have picnics and walk etc. etc."   She went on and on, but I don't think anyone felt safe.  (Due to Tammy's blindness, social distancing is not a great thing when you are walking and she can trip etc.)

Anyway, a week later I came to find out she flew home to St. Louis....I believe for some medical care (glasses, dental).....and she and her mother were both sick.  A few days later, she got her positive Covid test result and one week later she was hospitalized.  I learned today that she is starting on Remdesivir.  Pray for her.

This is why I worry about Covid, not for me, not for my healthy kids.  This is why I am so angry over the non-mask wearing cohort!!!  We need to stop the spread and do everything we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment