Monday, January 17, 2022

This girl is way smarter than her mother!

Ok- So Carolyn had a headache M/T/W of last week, but didn't mention it until Wednesday.  (so probably not super bad if she didn't mention it....right?)
Anyway, on Wednesday, she said, "I have a headache, maybe I have Covid" and I said, "oh no I am sure you don't", then Ken came home wearing a mask and you know the rest of that story.  Carolyn took a rapid test and it was negative.  She still wore a mask consistently out of her room and ate in her room.  I thought she was being overly cautious.  Thursday morning we sent in the Test Iowa PCR sample via UPS.  Carolyn originally was going back to Iowa City on Saturday, but stayed home just in case.
Today before we left for Iowa City (I was driving because I wanted to keep Carolyn safest) Matthew told us he got his Test Iowa results back - negative.  Then as we drove, I received my Test Iowa results (which just confirmed my work's test) and Anna's result - both negative.

Then we went to Matthew's apartment where he had one remaining rapid test (left over from when Carolyn tested before Grandpa Schilling's party).  Carolyn decided to use it since she still didn't have her Test Iowa results.  She took the test and she was positive....surprise surprise.  She never had any other Covid symptoms other than a headache that she said wasn't worth mentioning until Wednesday.   Then she was anxious that her Test Iowa would be negative and she would have to start her 10 days today!!!  I thought, "well the good news - you got through Covid with just one bad day of a headache".

I had a gut feeling that her Test Iowa results were more delayed than ours perhaps because they retest the positive results or something...who knows.  Just as I was leaving Iowa City her results (from 1st thing Thursday morning) were positive via Test Iowa.  Don't worry about me, she wore a mask in the car and probably got Covid a full 10 days ago at Mid Iowa Show Choir.
So lessons learn:  don't trust a negative antigen test even a little and even if you are nearly asymptomatic.  Also, Covid is rampant and people like Carolyn are out in the world with a smidge of a headache, but have the disease....wear a good mask.

Carolyn is staying in Matthew's bedroom and he is sleeping on the couch.  It wasn't chivalrous or gender related.  He is a great brother and his computer is set up in the room where his couch lives....so it made more sense to keep him all in that room and her all in the other room.  He told me, "don't worry about it" when I fretted over him giving up his bed.

While Carolyn didn't want to put Matthew at risk, she really didn't want to put her roommate at risk and they share one small room.  Matthew has 2 small rooms with a door between!!

Still excellent brother award.




 

1 comment:

  1. So.. maybe wearing a mask, social distancing, washing our hands, getting vaccinated are all good things to do.. just in case? :) Hmmmm.. I wonder if we've heard that before?? - From a person who wouldn't have gotten a covid test if her husband hadn't tested positive because her symptoms were so mild, and easily explained away ...but was positive (in Dec. 2020)

    ReplyDelete