Wednesday, April 8, 2020

4/8/20

Today I went to work, then Aldi. Lots of people with masks today, but it didn't freak me out like last week.  We have to wear masks even in the halls at work now, so it seems less a big deal.

My friend wanted a mask for her daughter, so I thought I would make a mask for Carolyn (to learn how), then make a mask for my friend.  

Mask #1....the pattern from the hospital.  It has 6 pieces of fabric and it is constructed so that a filter can be inserted.  It was hard, but not terrible, but it was much more like making clothes than quilts.  Fit was a little bit of an issue, so we had to tweak.

Then I talked to my sister.  She had made something like 29 of the masks above for a hospital in KC, then was asked to make a different style for a different hospital and it was so much easier.  This mask (below) wouldn't be used with patients.  It is more like a "walk in the hospital without seeing patients" kind of mask (or Aldi, but I didn't wear a mask today).  SOOOO much easier and I even like it better.  Carolyn did not want to be a model, but I didn't want her siblings to put it on, so she agreed.  I am going to make several of these for friends.  I cut everything out today, but couldn't sew more because Matthew was on a call in the basement with his Lab partner for school.  (I didn't want to move my machine and thought it might freak out the dog anyway.)  It was so fun to hear him discuss his project with his partner.  He didn't sound shy at all and really seemed to know what he was talking about.  (of course what do I know about computer programming???)
Maybe if people see Carolyn in a mask they will remember that Starbucks is not an urgent need!  She doesn't have to wear it, but she can if she wants.

We just did the Stations of the Cross via Google Hangout.  We had 3 kids new kids from our class join today, plus our Youth Minister.  We had such a great turn-out that we had to have Joel and Ben come be on the call with their mother to open up a space!!  Praise God.  It was a very sad Stations, but we were blessed by the people (and Blessed by God.....who did the blessing with the people in the first place).

1 comment: