Wednesday, May 13, 2020

5/12/20

I did my first Auditory Brainstem Response test in 2 months.  No hiccups, thank goodness.  I was worried that I might have forgotten something in such a long time.  I guess ABR is like riding a bike now that I have done it this long.  I only did one ABR because the 2nd kiddo started demonstrating cold symptoms on Friday.  Not always a deal breaker, because the kiddo of the age we test with ABR always seem to have colds (most below age 3).  However, we aren't allowing Covid symptoms into the hospital except for Covid19 treatment, not elective sedation.  Because the patient's  mom is a doctor in our health system, the sedation team offered a slot next Tuesday that previously was unavailable.  He has to symptom free by then or mom has to figure out how to get  a Covid19 test on a < 1 year old, which traditionally isn't happening in our health system.  If she can't do it, almost no one can, given her job.

Below isn't my picture, but isn't it cute!  That said, when I see babies this age, they aren't sedated, so we do the test in our clinic, and baby is in a car seat or being held by a parent.  Today's baby was having her age 6 month confirmation of her hearing loss (the age when we can sedate and repeat the ABR that was done when she was a peanut like below).  So she WAS sedated and on a hospital bed, but 14 lbs not 7.  She did great with the sedation and minimal change to her hearing. 

ABR screening system - Eclipse - Interacoustics - digital

I modified her hearing aids in my clinic and in the process realized one of our pieces of hearing aid test equipment is broken....sigh.  It was broken before the pandemic and the replacement part was requested and then we shut down and all thoughts of it were lost.  (To be honest I assumed Bio-tech had taken care of it, since I was on Spring Break right before the pandemic.)  So now I am retracing the events that did and did not happen, to get it working again.  Now is a good time, since we aren't doing hearing aid fittings yet (except the baby yesterday because I have hinted of the urgency since day one of the shut down....early auditory stimulation being critical)

I only worked until 12:45, came home and Anna and I crocheted and watch Harry Potter's chapter 2  being read by Noma Dumezweni on Playing Hermione in 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Ch Noma Dumezweni  (who is about 16 days older than me (thanks Google)

and chapter 3 being read by Actor Eddie Redmayne comes with his own case | Wizarding World Eddie Redmayne (much younger :0)


No comments:

Post a Comment