Wednesday, May 13, 2020

TV experience




OH my!  Today at around 11, I received a text from my office-mate A. asking the other 3 audiologists if one of us would do a Zoom interview with channel WHO13 about the effect of masks on the communication skills of people with hearing loss.  B. said no (she is on furlough, so probably can't technically speak for the hospital), A, said that the inteview would make her very uncomfortable.  I said it would make me too anxious and M. didn't reply.  (Later to understand he was asleep after taking temperatures in the night shift.)

Maria Lisignoli | whotv.com
Anyway, I told A. that I was willing to call her back, but I didn't want to do a Zoom interview.  The contact was with Maria Lisignoli (above), whom I have seen on the news in the past.  After we spoke, she asked me nicely to do the Zoom interview, so I conceded.  (Joel said he knew I would do it when he saw A.'s email.)

I scrambled in one hour to take a shower, have Carolyn put on my make-up, and do my hair.  Plus we had to construct a Communicator Mask to show her (since mine are all at work).  (Joel made the tie for me and Carolyn cut out the other pieces).  The Communicator is a bit of a challenge because you are sewing on plastic, so I did that.  The kids also set up the Zoom situation.  Anyway, we got it all ready, but then at the start of the interview, Carolyn's computer was buffering.  So I used Joel's phone (and he would say his phone has the better camera anyway).  The video angle was better on the computer than what ended up on the phone, but ehh!

Anyway, Maria wasn't on the news with the story, but there was a story on at 4 pm and 5 pm (and might be on at 6).  Here is a picture my sister took (note the Communicator is around my neck :0).  Also the tree in the background was placed there for some color.  I bought that plant for my Mom when she and my Dad came to help after Matthew was born.  Yes, my mom had a green thumb and I have kept it alive for over a year (when my mom asked me to take it home).

I would rather have a bad camera angle than sound stupid and so I will take it.  The newscaster, Sonya Heitheusen summarized much of my advice, so it was excellent!!!  (She also quoted The Hearing Review Journal, which isn't exactly peer reviewed, but probably easy to access online :0)

By the way, after I did the interview (but before it aired), my supervisor called to ask if I had approved the interview through the hospital.  My answer was, "didn't YOU know, the office contacted me".  Alas it was all fine because Maria had gone through the right channels at the hospital to get to the clinic!  (If she hadn't, they just wouldn't have included the name of my hospital I guess.)  Maria seemed really great!  I don't plan on doing any other interviews to need to know that you need approval to talk to the press (ha ha).  


This is Dan Winters who summarized what I said at 6!


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Below is what was posted on the channel's web page (found by my brother :0)

Face Masks Create Communication Barrier for Deaf or Hard of Hearing Iowans

NEWS
DES MOINES, IOWA  —  Iowans are wearing masks in public to stop the spread of COVID-19, but those masks are also making it harder for the hearing impaired to communicate.
“We have seen patients in the hospital with hearing loss and it’s very challenging. It’s challenging for the nurses and the doctors, so much has to be written down and then the communication takes a lot longer and then you’re not fully robust when you’re writing. It’s hard because people can’t see your face so it’s a little scarier, I think,” UnityPoint Health Clinical Audiologist Elizabeth McCleary said.
According to a recent study by The Hearing Review, a cloth mask can reduce a voice by three to four decibels, while an N95 mask can reduce it by around 12 decibels.
McCleary said to carry a pen and paper with you or type things out on your phone to communicate with people who might not be able to hear you. Reduce noise if you can, turn off the tv and the radio. Reframe the question to give more contextual clues.
Or create a communicator mask, this cloth mask with a clear plastic center has helped medical workers at unity point communicate with patients who are deaf or hard of hearing.
“I don’t think it’s any less of a shield than any other cloth mask and people know the goal of the cloth mask is to protect other people from you,” McCleary said.
Click here for instructions on how to make your own Communicator Mask

1 comment:

  1. Oh that is exciting! You are a star!
    However, I think I am even more impressed that your mother had kept a plant alive as long as Matthew... good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete