Tuesday, May 19, 2020

5/19/20

I did an ABR on a kiddo who my colleague suspected had hearing loss on 2/20/20 due to congenital CMV (cytomegalovirus).  It is a disease that touches me in a special way because it happens because mom gets CMV (which otherwise isn't too bad of a disease) for the first time when pregnant and it can have a such a major impact (so many patients with this diagnosis) including progressive hearing loss.....but this kiddo has seemed to be doing so wonderfully!!!  My office mate (colleague from above) has an even closer connection to congenital CMV because her great niece has had many effects from this disease and her niece did a major campaign to increase in testing for CMV if a baby doesn't pass their newborn hearing screen.  It now is mandated in Iowa. 

Anyway we were cancelled many times due to baby's health (just colds etc) then Covid19, then another cold.  Today was the day and baby had normal hearing!!!  So happy for this family.  It truly feels like they might have dodged the CMV bullet!

After work, 3 of Carolyn's teachers showed up (in 3 different cars) to share a sweet sign and a bag of treats.  The one in the middle gave her encouragement for her AP Microeconomics tests tomorrow!!



Matthew then finished planting the garden with a little help from Anna and me.  (I did more weed pulling in my rock beds actually....but much moral support and I did water the plants some!)
labeled garden....1st time!!



1 comment: